Sunday, October 28, 2007

Week 8 Reflections

I really enjoyed looking at the multimedia presentations this week. Each one I viewed was so well prepared and included not only a wealth of information, but a lot of audio, video, and interactive buttons. I was so impressed. After seeing these presentations, I want to redo mine. I used my wiki space to present my presentation, but it is not attractive to look at and does not include much audio or video. In fact, I was so tired when I recorded my voice for the PowerPoint on Sharepoint that it (my voice) sounded cracky and too deep so I did not use it.

The webliography and Doc Sharing tabs located in our course forum made it easy to access multimedia presentations. I initially emailed everyone the url to my presentation, then read the email Dr. Green sent about posting it to the webliography. This should have been made clear from the beginning. I put the Sharepoint PP in the doc sharing folder just because I saw that others had placed their PPts there. I could not get my entire wiki presentation there so I just listed my url.

I was awed by the many ways wireless technologies have been used, according to the online article, Campus Technology at http://www.campus-technology.com/article.asp?id=17563. I am from Georgia and I just learned from another student in another course that Georgia is at the top of the list in regard to technology in K-12 classrooms. The web site with this information was provided to show me evidence, but I would have to go back to my other course to get the url. I did check the informatin out and was astounded to learn that Georgia (my state) is among the top in terms of technology inclusion. I reside in Augusta and don't see much of this (at least not in my particular school). I would love it if our district designed an infrastructure for the use of wireless technologies. Students would love this too as many of them have iPods, cell phones, and other handheld devices. At this point, students are not even allowed to bring any electronic devices to school--not even electronic dictionaries. And because many mp3 players look like memory sticks (thumb drives), students are not even allowed to bring these (memory sticks) to middle school. Although they are allowed in high school. The idea of having wireless technologies, such as wi-fi, available for students to use for wireless devices would optimize teaching and learning. I don't believe that having wireless technologies would mean that schools are focusing on technology as opposed to the curriculum. These wireless technologies would just make teaching and learning so much more engaging, as well as accessible.

3 comments:

Heather Farley said...

Denise,

I teach in West Virginia, which is also supposed to be a 'top notch' technology inclusion state, but I have also noticed that the rules are so restrictive that even if the technology is available, we aren't allowed to really use it.

Heather

Shane said...

Denise--Yes, the multimedia presentations took a bit to create to say the least. I redubbed my talks multiple times each. I am happy that you reviewd the GA use of wireless technologies. I thought PA was high on the list but we've probably been bumped in the recent years. The wireless technologies in K-12 seems like a natural fit to me, and you note the same: children and teens thrive on technology. However, so many factors affect the implementation and use of wireless that it is only a dream for some districts. Good post in my opinion!

Meredith said...

Denise,
I have a sister who teaches in middle GA and mentioned that her school has hardware sitting around waiting for adequate infrastructure upgrades. On the flip side, I have a sister-in-law in another GA town that works in the RESA hub and comments on how advanced their rural schools are in the area of technology initiatives because they have so much working hardware. I wonder if the differences indicate that how the technology money allocated to schools in the state was left up to each area or administrator.